FAQ » L-1 Status

What's the difference between L-1A and L-1B status?



A: L-1B classification is for one entering under the specialized knowledge category. L-1A is for individuals working as a manager or executive. You can remain in the US for up to 5 years in L-1B status and up to 7 years in L-1A status.

Can I obtain PR faster if I am in L-1A status?



A: Yes, if you worked for the same company overseas in a managerial or executive capacity for at least one out of the last three years. This allows you to skip the Labor Certification process and go straight to filing an I-140 Eb1C petition (intra-company manager).

Can I remain on foreign payroll while I work in the US in L status?



A: Yes.

Do I have to remain on foreign payroll?



A: No.

How to I obtain a L-1 visa?



A: There are two ways to obtain a L-1 visa. Your Employer can file an individual L-1 petition with the USCIS . Upon approval, you can apply for the visa with the L-1 approval notice. Some Employers are beneficiaries of blanket L-1 petitions. If the employer is a beneficiary of a blanket petition, the employer can provide you with Forms I-129S in triplicate and supporting document to support an application to be submitted to the Embassy for a L-1 visa. The Embassy can determine eligibility for L-1 status.

Can I extend my L-1 status in the U.S.?



A: Yes, your status can be extended in the U.S. To extend your I-94 (or status in the U.S.), the employer is required to submit the extension petition with the USCIS. Once the petition is approved, you can send your passport to the State Department for extension of the visa.

Can my spouse work in L-2 Status?



A: Yes, under a new law signed by President Bush in January 2002, a spouse in L-2 can obtain a work permit, and legally engage in employment in the U.S.