Start Up / Entrepreneur Immigration

Continue the legacy of American innovation and entrepreneurship by starting a business in the U.S. and hiring strong foreign talent.

ILG believes that entrepreneurs are vital to the U.S. economy and contribute immensely to their communities and the world at large.

We excel in advising founders and entrepreneurs of new and small businesses on immigration matters. Whether you’re looking to obtain work authorization as a founder to get your business off the ground, or if you’re interested in hiring your first nonimmigrant employees, we are here to help. ILG handles immigration matters for companies of all sizes, including new and developing organizations, and we have years of experience working with entrepreneurs who are establishing and growing new companies in the U.S. 

ILG understands both long-term and immediate personnel needs for new companies. We help organizations navigate immigration processes efficiently and effectively, advising on strategic immigration goals, developing corporate policies, and securing temporary work authorization and permanent residency for founders, executives, and employees. Our knowledge of corporate organization enables us to advise on how company policies and immigration law interact so that you can avoid critical errors and be compliant with current regulations.  We find solutions when other firms tell you it’s impossible.

Each company is unique, and their immigration needs are too. We provide individualized strategies based on your company's goals. Contact us today to discuss your current needs.



What are the E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor Visa programs?

The E-1 and E-2 nonimmigrant classifications permit traders/investors from treaty countries, to work in the U.S. Their employees can also come to the U.S. to work in positions that are managerial, or require special/essential skills.

Treaty traders must carry on substantial trade between their country of nationality and the U.S. Treaty investors must invest a substantial amount of capital in a new or existing U.S. business.  Both the trader/investor and the employee must be a national of a country with which the U.S. has a treaty. 

E-1/E-2 status can be obtained by applying directly at the U.S. Embassy abroad, or by applying directly with USCIS. Once granted E-1/E-2 status, you are given an initial period of admission of up to 2 years. Your status may be extended indefinitely, in increments of up to 2 years. However, this  is a temporary visa, and you must not intend to stay in the U.S. permanently.  In addition, under the E-1/E-2 visa, spouses can apply for work authorization.

What is the definition of a substantial amount of capital?

Although the E-2 Treaty Investor category requires “a substantial amount of capital” to be invested in a U.S. business, the amount of capital is not specifically defined. USCIS typically evaluates the amount of capital in proportion to overall business costs, but also takes other factors into account. Contact ILG for more information about the E-2 visa category and assess your eligibility.

What are the treaty countries?

Treaty countries include Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Grenada, Honduras, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Luxembourg, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Republic of Congo, Romania, Senegal, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Yugoslav.

Your captcha