Family-Based Immigration

Securing the status of those who mean the most to you.

We’ve helped many of our successful employment-based clients with family-based immigration matters. We focus specifically on immigrant and nationality matters, including securing permanent residency for family members of U.S. citizens and green card holders, and securing their U.S. citizenship down the road. ILG takes pride in uniting families and helping clients adjust to their new country by solidifying the status of their loved ones. Contact us today to speak with one of our attorneys about your immigration situation.


External Resources


I am a U.S. Citizen. How can I sponsor my family members?

U.S. citizens may sponsor their spouse, unmarried children under age 21 or their parents (if the U.S. citizen is over 21) for permanent residency. Generally, the U.S. citizen may file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-485 and Form I-864 Affidavit of Support on their behalf. Concurrent filing of the I-130 and I-485 or consular processing are options for immediate family members.

For other family members, such as unmarried adult children, married children, and brothers and sisters, U.S. citizens must file a Form I-130 and wait for a visa to become available based on the relevant preference category, which can be found in the Visa Bulletin, before filing form I-485 or consular processing.

Additional forms of sponsorship include the K visa for fiancés or spouses for temporary stay.

I am a legal permanent resident. How can I sponsor my family members?

Legal permanent residents may request permanent residency for spouses, unmarried  children under 21 and unmarried adult children. After filing form I-130, they may apply for adjustment of status based on availability within the appropriate visa category.  If the family member is outside of the U.S., he or she must apply through consular processing rather than adjustment of status.

Does USCIS recognize same-sex marriages?

Yes. Your eligibility to petition for your spouse, and your spouse’s admissibility as an immigrant at the immigrant visa application or adjustment of status stage, will be determined according to applicable immigration law and will not be denied as a result of the same-sex nature of your marriage.        

Can my family members obtain work authorization?

Your family member may work if they are in the U.S. in a nonimmigrant status that permits employment. Additionally, individuals with a pending I-485 application may apply for work authorization while their adjustment is pending.

Your captcha