Work Authorization and SSN Can Be Applied Together With the New Form I-765

02. Oct. 2017

Based on a new information-sharing partnership between USCIS and the Social Security Administration (SSA), foreign nationals in certain categories or classifications can now apply for work authorization and a social security number using a single form – the updated Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

To lawfully work in the U.S., foreign workers in some categories and classifications need both an employment authorization document (EAD) from USCIS, and a Social Security number (SSN) from the SSA. Previously, applicants needed to submit a Form I-765 to USCIS for an EAD, and then submit separate paperwork in-person at their local Social Security office to obtain a SSN.

The new I-765 form contains additional questions that allow applicants to apply for a SSN or replacement card without visiting a Social Security office. Starting today USCIS will transmit the additional data collected from the new form I-765 to the SSA for processing and applicants who receive their approved EADs from USCIS should receive their Social Security card from SSA within the following two weeks.