FAQ » General Questions

How long does it take for USCIS to issue the filing fee receipt?



A: Generally, 7 to 14 days.

What if the filing fee receipt does not come in?



A: Cancelled filing fee check, which would contain the USCIS case number, is the only substitute.

There's an error in my name and/or place of citizenship on my USCIS approval notice Form I-797. Will this be a problem?



A: Generally, it is not a problem if the I-129 submitted is correct. You can show both the I-797 and I-129 to a government official if you are applying for a visa or requesting admission into the U.S. The new I-94 that is issued upon re-entry to the U.S. should have the corrected information. Alternatively, we can ask the USCIS to correct the error but it is unclear what USCIS processing time would be on it. It is not a high priority item for them.

What if there is an error on the validity dates. Should USCIS correct it?



A: Yes, we can correspond with USCIS on your behalf and request that the error be corrected. This is to ensure you have proper work authorization.

Where can I obtain general immigration information?



A: Check USCIS web site at: www.uscis.gov; or State Department web site at www.state.gov. The USCIS customer service hotline is: 1-800-375-5283

Where can I obtain information on forms to complete and filing fees?



A: You may access this information at the USCIS's web site by clicking on 
this link.

What is meant by non-immigrant intent?



A: Non-immigrant intent is the intent of an individual to enter and remain in the U.S. temporarily and to leave the U.S. upon the expiration of their non-immigrant status. Certain non-immigrant categories require non-immigrant intent, such as B-1/B-2, F-1/F-2, TN/TD. The applicant, upon entering the U.S., must prove to the USCIS that s/he will only be entering the U.S. temporarily and will return home upon the completion of the visit.

What is meant by dual intent?



A: Dual intent means to have the intent now to enter temporarily but also have the intent to ultimately immigrate to the U.S. Certain categories allow for dual intent such as H-1/H-4 and L-1/L-2. One entering the U.S. in either of these non-immigrant categories can also actively pursue Permanent Residency in the U.S. and this will not affect his or her entry to the U.S.

Can I extend (revalidate) my U.S. Visa without leaving the U.S.?



A: No, visa revalidation is no longer processed within the U.S.  Renewals of all types of visas must be processed by a US Consulate abroad.

Where can I obtain information on fingerprints?



A: You may access this information at the USCIS's web site by clicking on 
this link.